Sunday, January 27, 2013

Miss May vs. Dehydration


Good morning, class. My name is Miss May.

It is, though. For the next year.

It’s quite catchy. Especially if you think of small, adorable children repeating it back to you.
Anyway, I was surprised to find that my extreme fatigue, headache, and nausea today were not from the nerves of teaching, but from the fact that this weather encourages all moisture to leave your body. I just drank a liter of water in about 20 minutes and could probably drink another one without having to pee. I have a perpetually bloody nose from the dry heat, and last night I woke up in the middle of the night thinking that my skin was burning off from some sort of horrible, terminal rash. It wasn’t. It was just that stifling in my room. So, I guess that was good news.

Changes have been made to my schedule, and I am now teaching English grades 6 and 7, Natural Science grade 7, and Arts grades 5-7. So, I’m pretty psyched about Arts. But, as it turns out, Arts also involves singing and dancing.

Uhhh…
White girl can’t dance.

But the visual art thang I have covered. Or would, if Orotjitombo had any art supplies.
Not only does the school need art supplies for Arts, they need crayons and pencils for Pre-primary and Grade 1.

Here’s my plea for help:
Any crayons, markers, paints, paint brushes, pencils, or fun things lying around your house/place of business that are NOT being used (and are still in relatively good shape), can be sent to my address.

Mailin Plagge
Orotjitombo PS
P.O. Box 415
Opuwo, Kunene, Namibia

If you want to be a kind soul and buy a few small new boxes of crayons, that would be grand, but not needed.

I will buy some with my own money, but I’m not exactly rolling in money here. So, I’m not sure how far that will get me.

Anyway, if you think you can contribute, you da best. If you can’t, no worries, I still love you.
Thanks for keeping up with my posts! Here’s to not dying of dehydration.


2 comments:

  1. My Arts kids and I had two weeks of "Teach Miss Mayer to Dance." They loved it, and I had fun. I also, still, can't dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Rachel, wish I could've seen that! I had a dance competition to "Waka Waka" this week at school, and so I obviously had to break out my own moves. Oh, what hilarity ensued. I'm sure a "Teach Miss May to Dance" week would go over swimmingly with my learners as well. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete