Friday, March 15, 2013

Snippets of Charm



…in a generally stressful and hectic week

I don’t think I’ve ever been so resolutely productive in my life (that is meant as a hyperbole, not truthfully. I think the time I stayed up doing schoolwork for three straight days trumps this.) And I still have more to do. Mostly because here, in this odd and beautiful place, stuff never gets done the first 4 times around unless you do it yourself. Good natured persistence, my friends, is the name of the game. Try not to lose your rag on anyone. It’s not worth how idiotic you will feel.

Africa. Love it. Hate it…love it again.

But there were times this week when I thought in my little brain well gee, this is swell. Because I am Jiminy Cricket.

Examples are:

Skyping with my parents and sisters (plus one adorable niece)

Hearing a knock on my door and discovering that one of my learners had collected a tub full of weird fruits for me (they are the size of my fingernail, have a pit, and taste like apricot raisins. We will call them raisicots), which I am sucking down right now. Although for some reason the fact that I eat them sends my learners into a fit of hysterics, and they start talking about plastic bags on my head. Or at least that's what I gather. 

Also, eating a salad. You can only take canned green beans for so long.

Having a heated yet good-natured debate with one of my learners about the merits of vegetables. He was convinced they are the worst thing since Justin Timberlake had frosted tips (my words, not his)

Taking a 2 hour nap

After 2 months, having most of my Grade 6 finally understand what an adjective is

Showing some learners the lonely planet guidebook to Namibia. They were mesmerized.

Making it to Friday in one piece.

Here’s hoping I got me some good juju and get all my work finished by next week.

Now, for your entertainment purposes, some random photos.

My (completely looney) Grade 7

Teachers at the athletic competition

Runnin', runnin'

and the winner is
Principal announcing the winner





No comments:

Post a Comment